Monday, December 18, 2006

NFL Blackouts

When the NFL introduced the very popular Sunday Ticket package a few years ago I was not in a situation to involve myself. Now that my circumstances have changed for the better I have been the proud owner of my cable carriers Sports Pak.

This could possibly be one of the best packages put together by a cable provider in the history of television. Every MLB, NHL, NFL and many NBA games are aired nightly. Along with the pros, numerous college basketball and football contests are also right at your fingertips, one click away.

One very rewarding thing to be able to do is, sit down around noon hour on Sunday morning, think about the night that was and the memories you're soon to forget, then start sifting through the days best games. Most Sundays my TV guide will have reminders set next to the Colts, Bengals, and Chargers games, for good reason. I also make sure to catch my teams, the Bills and Lions (Barry Sanders was a major influence).

Since I do live within driving distance (and mind you, I've driven across N. America for sports) I like to get out and continue an on-going tradition. As I have been doing for the past four years or so, I love to get out with the fearless and enjoy a game in its essence at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Between the smell of the bbqs, footballs sailing wildly onto windshields from overweight middle-aged arm chair QBs, and the cute girls wearing XSM jerseys, it just adds something to the game that can't be captured on the plasma.

Since I'm unable to enjoy the pleasures of being a seasons ticket holder, which I would if I lived in either Buffalo or Detroit, I've purchased the Sunday Ticket package, along with team apparel and merchandise. I tell friends and family I'm a fan. Now, let me ask you this; do fans watch their favourite teams games on TV when they can’t attend?

I think the answer needs to be a resounding; YES!

Well, then I guess I'm not much of a fan then, seeing as I've missed two of the last three contests. And there's only one culprit; the NFL.

With the leagues ever expanding fan base, the increased exposure of the NFL Network, and the inexplicable advertisement and sponsorship monies coming in from every possible angle, the league is getting richer by the day. So why would it go out of its way to alienate their most valuable partner?

I understand the logic behind why teams would want to have their games blacked out in their home regions. What I don't, and never will understand, is how does a home region stretch over 150 km? And how do you expect people to come to the home games when they are already sold out?

The Bills are entering the final few weeks of the season and are looking at making a final push at the last playoff spot in the AFC, albeit a long shot. Three weeks ago when the leagues leading rusher and favourite for the MVP award came to town, I expected to sit back and enjoy some exciting ball. What I sadly found was the following message: THE GAME HAS BEEN BLACKED OUT IN YOUR AREA.

...um...pardon, me? I have over 400 channels, over 20 of them dedicated to football on Sunday. You're telling me not one of them is airing the game?!

Fortunately I was able to change channels and was be entertained by the rest of the league. Then, this past week I attempted to tune in to see Buffalo play Miami. Again, blacked out!

Now, what am I paying for again? I thought the purpose of NFL Sunday Ticket was to provide the unmatched opportunity to watch your favourite team play every week. Now the two most important weeks, I've been the guy who didn’t catch any of the action.

The NFL needs to take a hard look at its broadcasting policies and needs to make some altercations now. Over half of the US can't gain access to Sunday Ticket even though they are more willing to pay for it. Now, even those who do have can't see their favourite teams play because they live too close.

The equivalent to this scenario would be buying a new TV from Sony. Bring that TV home, set it up, watch it for a few weeks, then, when there's a big game that you really want to see, a Sony rep comes by your place, turns off your tv, and says "Sorry, this game is going to be blacked out on your tv."

I wouldn't expect the Sony rep to make it out of the house before he gets a beer bottle to the side of the head.

Please NFL, don't make me hit you with a beer bottle.

- JW

No comments: